Soups are on rotation during fall and winter around here and this rustic tortellini soup is one of our all-time faves. Serve with a loaf of crusty bread and a big ole salad.
Rustic Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound of Italian sausage links casings removed I used 2 hot sausages and 3 mild. This gives the soup a nice kick of spice but not too much.
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large box chicken broth or bone broth I prefer bone both- healthier for you and gives the soup a great taste!
- 1 cup water
- 2 28 oz. cans of diced tomatoes undrained
- 10 oz refrigerated cheese tortellini you can use 1 or 2 packages depending on how much pasta you like in the soup. Don’t use frozen tortellini for this, will turn to mush
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese for topping before serving
- Crumble sausage in a Dutch oven or soup pot, add onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is cooked through.
- Add the garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.,
- Add tortellini;spinach, basil, pepper and pepper flakes (if using). Return to a boil.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes or until almost tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add another cup or two of broth if you want a thinner consistency after the pasta cooks. Serve topped with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.
P.S. Meal planning not your thing? Join Plan To Eat...it may just change your mind! It’s the simple online recipe organizer, meal planner and grocery list creator that I use and it’s been a game-changer. I can even share all my 300 recipes with you- just shoot me an email after you’ve joined or “friend me” on the app!